BrainTrust Services FAQ

Get Your Questions Answered

If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a concussion/brain injury, it is normal to have many questions. Here are answers to the questions we are asked most often about our services.


What does BrainTrust do?

We help people with concussion and acquired brain injury. Our programs and services provide assistance in many areas of post-injury life. You can read more here about the kinds of services we offer. 

How do I access services at BrainTrust?

You must have a medically documented (diagnosed) concussion/brain injury to receive our services. If you have documentation for your brain injury, you can book an appointment for a consultation.

See our Eligibility Criteria for Service for more information. 

How do I get documentation for my concussion/brain injury?

In most cases, your family doctor should be able to provide you with documentation. If you don't have a regular family doctor, you may need to get your records from a clinic or hospital you attended.
Read our Eligibility Criteria for Service to see the kinds of documentation we can accept.
Please reach out if you are having trouble getting the documentation you need.

Do BrainTrust's services cost money?

Many of our services are free of charge. Your initial consultation is also free.

Fees are determined based on financial need and available funding. Information on fees will be outlined at your consultation. You may also contact us for more information.


How do I get a referral to a neuropsychologist?

You can get a referral to a neuropsychologist through your family doctor. You may also be able to get a referral through WorkBC.
A neuropsychologist is a specialist who completes an assessment on you following your brain injury. The final report includes:
  • a diagnosis,
  • recommendations for treatment, and
  • a description of the effects of your deficits and strengths on post-injury life.
This is helpful information when planning the kinds of services you'll need.

Can I access services from BrainTrust before I get my documentation?

Limited access to services may be possible, depending on availability. 

We may also be able to direct you to resources you need outside of BrainTrust.

How long does it take before I can receive support services from BrainTrust?

If you meet our Eligibility Criteria, you can book an appointment for a consultation right away. Consultations are booked for Tuesdays between 12:00 and 2:00 pm.

If you qualify for free services, the wait is usually 2-4 weeks.

If you are paying a fee for services, you can begin almost immediately.

Does BrainTrust have support groups?

We offer a variety of group programs. One of our groups is a Peer Support group.

You can learn more about our group programs here.

How do I get into a group program?

See our Eligibility Criteria to find out how to qualify for our services.

Once you qualify and have had your initial consultation, you will be assigned a case worker. Your worker may recommend participating in a group program.

Can you help me find a place to live that I can afford?

We offer support in helping you find a safe, affordable place to live. We can also help you apply for subsidized housing.

I'm feeling suicidal. Can you help me?

If you're feeling suicidal call:

  • 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) to get help right away, any time of day or night. It’s a free call.
  • Our Local Crisis Line: Call 1-888-353-2273 24 hours a day. You'll get connected to a BC crisis line, without a wait or busy signal. The crisis line operators have advanced training in mental health issues and services.
  • Interior Health Community Response Team (CRT): 250-212-8533 They will come check on you in your home. Operates 11:30am-9:00pm, seven days a week.

I'm struggling with anxiety/depression. Do you have counselling for people with brain injury?

It's not unusual to feel overwhelmed, anxious, or depressed after sustaining a brain injury. We work 1:1 with our clients to help them with managing their emotions.
If you need more intensive support, we may offer you clinical counselling. Our counsellors have master's degrees and are trained in brain injury.
 Contact us to discuss your needs.

Where can I find legal support?

You can get free legal support at B.C. Legal  Aid.

I'm a spouse/caregiver to someone with brain injury. Can you help me?

Brain injury can be devastating for family members and loved ones. Supporting families/caregivers is an important aspect of the work we do.
We offer 1:1 Life Skills Support with:
  • helping you understand brain injury and how you can help the individual recover
  • adjusting to the changes in your roles and relationship
  • managing overwhelming emotions
Our Brain Injury 101 information session is also open to spouses/caregivers. 
To learn more or set up an appointment for caregiver support, please call 250-762-3233 or send us an email.

My adult child has a brain injury and needs help. Can you help him/her?

We work with people who have a medically documented acquired brain injury. Anyone who is 18 or over is considered an adult and must request support for themselves. Read here for more information.